Digital Public Infrastructure sounds like a huge step forward for the world — till you think about how it empowers the state to oppress the people. Ajay Shah joins Vasant Dhar in episode 72 of Brave New World to warn that we are not being wary enough of state coercion when we think of this incredible technology.
1. Ajay Shah on Twitter and Substack.
2. In Service of the Republic: The Art and Science of Economic Policy — Vijay Kelkar and Ajay Shah.
3. Everything is Everything — Ajay Shah’s YouTube show, co-hosted by Amit Varma.
4. Episodes of The Seen and the Unseen with Ajay Shah: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.
5. Imagining India — Nandan Nilekani.
6. Nandan Nilekani on an Egalitarian Internet — Episode 15 of Brave New World.
7. Albert Wenger on the World After Capital — Episode 29 of Brave New World.
8. James Robinson on What Makes a Successful State — Episode 19 of Brave New World.
9. The Narrow Corridor — Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson.
10. Is the Singularity Near? — Episode 2 of Everything is Everything.
11. 1984 — George Orwell.
Check out Vasant Dhar’s newsletter on Substack. Subscription is free!